As part of Ferrero, we joined the RSPO in 2005 and in 2015 we became one of the first global companies to source 100% RSPO certified segregated palm oil. Moreover, our responsibility does not stop at certification.
Our commitment on the movement
Palm oil is key to Nutella recipe as it provides the perfect texture, a neutral taste and a great resistance to oxidation. We are convinced that the best alternative to palm oil is sustainable palm oil. Our dedication to lead the way in palm oil industry transformation has been acknolewdged by NGOs like Greenpeace (Greenpeace Palm Oil Scorecard 2016) and the WWF (WWF Palm Oil Buyers’ Scorecard 2016).
"We are convinced that the best alternative to palm oil is sustainable palm oil"Olivier Charrier, Director Nutella Global Presidency
- In 2013 we created the Ferrero Palm Oil Charter, summarized in 4 macro-objectives: no deforestation, respect for biodiversity, smallholder inclusion, respect for workers’ rights
- In 2015 we became POIG member alongside 9 NGOs and cutting-edge suppliers, and we were chosen to be part of the Organizing Committee as best in class in the “Retailers & Manufacturers” sector to innovate the supply chain. The main objective of POIG is to strengthen RSPO standards on topics like NDPE, HCS approach, respect for human/land/labor rights.
- Through a verification protocol certified by external audit of Bureau Veritas, we have in progress a gap analysis between the implementation of our Ferrero policies and the POIG standard, that is the only standard recognized by Greenpeace to guarantee a truly sustainable supply chain.
Our UN Sustainable Development Goals
Sustainable palm oil is a great option for Planet and People as it can have a better environmental footprint than other oils and contribute to numerous UNSDG’s in developing countries: poverty, hunger, quality education, wellbeing and economic development.
Our struggles and future plans
One of our biggest struggles is to include smallholders because of:
- Their extreme capillarity, which means more difficulty in terms of traceability
- Certification standard hard to reach, as they have few resources and difficult access to training
- Less ability to meet our high quality standards
Our next challenges are to:
Strengthen our commitments to sustainable palm oil by:
- improving inclusion of smallholders in our supply chain
- stronger monitoring of our commitments on the ground
- remediation in case of non-compliance
- new landscape initiatives to support biodiversity.
“Our palm oil” : make our palm oil best practices available to any other industry player to make a difference beyond our own perimeter.
Raise awareness of sustainable palm oil benefits amongst consumers and stakeholders to boost the use of sustainable palm oil.
Sign up, switch to sustainable palm oil and join us in showing the positive impact on the ground and making sustainable palm oil a reality!
Are you committed? Join the Sustainable Palm Oil Choice.